By
Roni S. Sumiarsa
I gently turned myself right. Suddenly, I heard someone breathing in my left ear. I opened my eyes slowly, still feeling a bit drowsy. I wondered who on earth sleep on my bed? Then, I gave a glance to my left. To my surprise, I saw a beautiful woman on my bed. Who is... ahh... I recognized her hair and… this smell… It smelled like jasmine. No doubt abut she had to be Lindsay. But why Lindsay would sleep on my bed? I looked around the room. This was odd. I didn’t recognize anything in this room. Everything was white and flowers were everywhere. I liked flowers but I didn’t remember wanting my bedroom decorated with flowers…where was I? I asked myself. I rubbed my head and I just realized I had to sleep with greasy pomade on my hair. I never like pomade on my hair. I tried to think harder and harder. Did I miss anything? Suddenly, it became clear to me. I must have got married yesterday. And last night must have been my first night to be husband and wife. Gosh, this was amazing. God must love me so much that He gave Lindsay to be my wife. I meant, looked at her, she was kind, drop dead beautiful, smart and beautiful. See I said ‘beautiful’ twice. She had to be the greatest and most perfect woman to marry. ‘So, Larry, Joseph and even you Frank, Kiss my bootie if I would let you all have her’. I still couldn’t believe my eyes she was there right beside me, as my wife. Thank you, Lord!
Slowly, I dragged myself closer to her. I looked at her from her head to her toes. She was there sleeping so peacefully. Even in her sleep, she looked so beautiful, like an angel. And she was my angel. Gently, I whispered to her ear. “Good morning… How’s my wife doing?” I said softly. I pecked her forehead and she slowly woke up. A smile was on her lips. “Hi, there...” she said.
I glanced at her again and still I couldn’t believe my eyes. I thought I must have been dreaming. If it’s a dream, I don’t want to wake up, Let me dream this dream forever. I wouldn’t feel this way if I remembered what I had done six months ago. It was the first time I met Lindsay. It was just like one of those days in the office when I came too early for work. I’d always be like that. I came three to four hours before my work time since I didn’t have anything to do at home. I’d prefer to come to the office and chat with my colleagues rather than stayed at home doing nothing. On that day we were expecting some new employees from the head office. They would be here helping our branch working on the project that our office just got. Basically, I couldn’t care less about these new people. They would just com and go from time to time. Some of my friends had warned me that there would be a female one among those new people though. But I never knew that the female one would be a heart-breaking-and-heart-pounding woman that every man in the office would talk about.
The pick-up car had just arrived. Three men got off the car, and that was all. No woman, all men. See I told you so, I said to myself. It was just some cheap rumour. Nothing special. Everyone who was in the welcoming “committee” finally dissolved themselves. And I went back to my cubical and faced the computer again. I tried to find something to do by randomly clicking some icons on my screen.
Suddenly, a phone in the reception desk rang. I only glanced from the corner of my eyes. It seemed something important just came up. The receptionist hurriedly called the driver saying somebody needed to be picked up. Must be a client, I said to myself. So, I was back to my computer again. Not long after that, the car arrived and the welcoming “committee” were there again to see who was coming. They greeted the ‘client’ warmly. Some men were rushing to the door way murmuring something. It’s just a client, what’s the fuss? I said to myself again. The crowd was getting noisier than before. I wondered what it was. No, it couldn’t be a client. What on earth is it? I asked. I stood up and tried to see what happened. All of a sudden, there she was walking with my boss and some staff members. The boss introduced her to me. “This is Ronald from Creative Department. He has some great ideas so far. And he’s still single”. He said. “Ron, this is Lindsay Norwich from the head office. She’s with Research and Development Department. She’s here to help us with our project for Deltacom. Please show her around”. The boss said again. And to my surprise, she smiled at me and greeted me. What a nice smile she’s got. I didn’t say anything. She saw me dumbfounded. I gasped and cleared my throat. “Err… Nice to meet you…” I greeted. “Just call me if you need anything. I’d be glad to help you.” I added. So, my boss continued to introduce her to the other staff. Something lingered in my mind-her sweet smile. ‘But why would I care about her smile’ I said to myself. ‘She’s going to be here only for a short while, nothing’s gonna happen.’ Said I again.
The next morning I came a bit late. I was overslept after watching DVD till 2 in the morning. I was kinda sleepy. I parked my mountain bike, locked it, and walked through the door to my cubical. I hung my helmet on a hook beside my computer, put my backpack and rush to the rest room to change my clothes. Then, I went to the coffee booth to make a cup of hot tea; it was my idea to start my morning. I intentionally didn’t have my breakfast in my apartment because I didn’t find it comfortable dining alone. Here at the office, at least I could have company to dine with. I took out some doughnuts from my backpack-the ones I got on the way to the office. I turned on Lizzie-my computer-and started enjoying my tea and the doughnut. ‘GOOD MORNING, Ron’ appeared on my screen. “Morning, Lizzie” I greeted, “How’s your morning?” I said again. Of course, Lizzie didn’t respond. Just as I started to have my first bite, someone tap my shoulder. Surprised, I jumped off my seat and turned around. In front of me there stood a figure of a woman. I put on my glasses, it became clear to me. It was that woman again from yesterday. “Ms. Norwich, right?” I asked. “Just call me Lindsay, ok.” She replied. “Oh, OK. So, what can I do for you?” I asked awkwardly. “Oh it’s nothing, I just wanna say hi.” She said crisply. “I thought you can show me around and see where I can start… that’s if you’re not busy, of course…” she said again. “Well, I just got here. And I even haven’t got my bite yet. May be you can ask Frank. I’m sure he won’t mind accompanying a beautiful woman like you around.” I responded rather reluctant. “Why, thank you.” She said. ”What for?” I asked. “You said I’m beautiful.” She smiled this time. “Oh… that. You’re welcome.” I replied. ‘What did I just say? Beautiful? I must have slipped it.’ I thought. ‘Did I just say she’s beautiful? No, there must be just a slip of a tongue.’ I tried to justify myself. ‘Don’t think of it, it’s nothing.’ I said to myself. And I went back to my screen and busied myself with my work.
The next couple of weeks I met her again. This time it was in the coffee booth. I was jut going to make a cup of tea after the break, and there she was stirring her coffee. She was wearing light blue blazer on top and dark long skirt with a letter L brooch on her collar. Her hair was tied with blue ribbon. She looked so mesmerizing. I tried to turn back when suddenly she called my name. “Hi, Ron…” I stopped and turned my head to her, dumbfounded I replied, “Yup …” “Aren’t you gonna make some coffee?” she asked. “Umm, yeah… but may be later. I just remember something, I need to get a copy for Mr. Lane.” I answered. ’No, you’re not’ said I. “Oh come on, it can wait. Come here, I won’t bite.” She said giggling. I walked to her and picked a cup and saucer. I poured some coffee into my cup and then some sugar and some creamer. I must have been too nervous that I filled my cup with too much creamer. She saw that and started to laugh. It made me more nervous that I drank it without realizing I hadn’t poured the water into it. She definitely laughed louder. Then she tried to hold her laughter and help me clean the creamer from my shirt. “Hey, calm down, Ron. Are you alright?” she asked. “You seem like you’re avoiding me. Is that true?” she asked again. “No, it’s not true.” I denied. I was never really good at dealing with people, especially girls. That probably explained why I only had few friends, even in the office. I had only three friends, at least, those who I thought to be my friends: Hannah, the one in the reception desk; Jane, the one in the personnel department, and Tina, one of my colleagues. Only with those three I could be open and share my view. We often had good time together. Those three are the ones I came to whenever I had problems. ”Why would I be avoiding you?” I replied. “Really? So, why did you turn around when you saw me earlier?” she asked again. Smile was on her face. I couldn’t say anything. It seemed the cat caught my tongue. Then nervously I tried to answer, “Err.. I actually wanted to… I wanted to take some file from Hannah’s desk. Yeah that’s it… I wanna take some file from her desk.” “Oh, I see…” she said but still she had a smile on her lips. “Ok then, see ya around…” she said ending the conversation.
It was 7.00 a.m. A text message awoke me. I opened it and it was an unlisted number. I put it back and tried to go back to sleep. Then, a minute later, another text message rang my cell phone. It was from this unlisted number again. ‘What the heck…who would disturb me t this hour? Don’t they have any better thing to do than to disturb me, Jeez!’ I cursed. So, I read the message. It said it was from Lindsay. Suddenly there was silent. ‘What…?? Lindsay?? How on earth she knows my number?’ I screamed to myself. ‘Wait, somebody knocked on her door. And she said she didn’t know him.’ It said. ‘This is time for emergency mode’ I said to myself. I rushed to the bathroom and wash my face and dashed to wear something I could grab. I paddled my bike to the main street, but I had to brake my bike. ‘Wait the minute, I don’t where she lives.’ I said to myself. I tried to search for my cell phone, but alas I must have left it back home. Then there was no other choice I had to go back. Quickly I dialled the number and I heard a connecting tone. Ring… ring…ring… and somebody picked up the phone. A soft woman voice was heard on the other end, “Hello, Ron…?” It was Lindsay. “Where dya live? I’m on my way to your place…” I asked. “It’s not far from the office, Ron. It’s on Cipto, third house on the right. The white one.” She replied. “Try to call the office security, ask them to come to your place just in case.” I told her and hung up the phone. I pumped my thighs harder. When I arrived two office securities were waiting in front of the gate. I nodded to them. They said, “It’s okay now. We have taken care of everything, sir.” “How’s she doing?” I asked. “She’s inside, still scared.” They replied. “Thank you, sir. “ I responded. Then, I went inside.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank You for your comment